1.0 The Journey So Far

Having joined the C&G L3 course without any prior qualification (an unfinished C&G at Derby some years ago not counting) it felt right and proper to provide some evidence of prior experience and thought. Throughout section 1.0 I will provide commentary on my learnings, both historically and now, as they develop on this journey.

Steve Davies (tutor) strongly suggested I start with L2 - but having read the course content I knew I wanted to go with L3 - I wanted to push myself hard (I wasn't to be disappointed)

I recall Cartier-Bresson saying that he saw the picture in his head and then waited for the moment to come along. This he called the decisive moment and it is beautifully illustrated by the image of man jumping a puddle.




















Cartier-Bresson says he waited hours for this moment to arrive. I have practised this technique and had great success.

I also recall Doisneau's images and discovering that they were posed. The image of a bride & groom crossing the road to a bar (in full regalia) had always struck me as beautiful. Here he does it again with this evocative image of dancers.




















Discovering that this was not an 'opportunistic' nor 'decisive' image but instead a 'staged' image has removed none of it's magic. I believe that they are all equally valid methods of creating beautiful images.

Replicating Doisneau - I have to admit that I didn't purposefully go out and replicate these - but here it is - uncanny eh!







1 comment:

  1. When looking at the work of others , you need to be writing your thoughts and ideas based around, shapes, patterns, tones, colour, lines, composition, etc... to help deconstruct what the image is made of, composition and use of perspective and focal points within the images.

    steve

    ReplyDelete